- 4 slices of bread (white or brown)
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml milk
- 1 thee spoon vanilla extract
- 1 thee spoon cinnamon
- Butter or oil to bake
- Powdered sugar and/or maple sirup
- Mix the eggs, milk and vanilla extract by stirring in a shallow bowl
- Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture on both sides
- Heat a baking pan on moderate heat and add a bit of butter or oil
- Bake the bread slices on both sides gold brown, about 2-3 minutes per side
- Put the baked Wentelteefjes on a plate and sprinkle powdered sugar or maple sirop. You can also make other toppings, such as fresh fruit and/or whipped cream.
In the past, this was a way to use old bread and to make a tasty dessert. The name Wentelteefje is difficult to translate. “teefje” is a female dog and “Wentelen” means “Wallow”. The dictionary also gives as translation “French Toast”. It has its origin in the Roman empire.
Hans Blankestijn: I learned this recipe from my grandmother, around 1958.
Sustainability and healthy tips and tricks
- Use plantbased milk like almond milk or oat milk.
- Use a minmum of sugar to make the recipe healthier.